A Troop, 3rd Squadron, 4th Cavalry 25th ID - Vietnam



Insignia, Motto, Song, & Lineage
Crest:  On a wreath of the colors a cratered mount vert bearing a sabre bendwise or and in the crater a kris reversed gules.
crest
Shield:  Or, on a pale embattled azure pierced by a sabre gules a cannon reversed of the field and thereon a sabre and a bayonet saltiredwise and an arrow palewise all points down of the third.

Symbolism:  The shield is yellow for cavalry.  The attack on the intrenchments at Selma is symbolized by the embattled blue pale and red bayonet.  The capture of Hood's artillery is shown by the reversed cannon, the rout of the enemy's cavalry at Murfreesborough by the reversed sabre, and the successful Indian campaigns by the reversed arrow.  The Bud Dajo campaign is indicated by the conventionalized volcano of the crest, and the defeat of the Moros by the reversed kris in the crater. On both shield and crest is the regiment's triumphant sabre at the charge.  
shield
Motto:  PARATUS ET FIDELIS (Prepared and Loyal)

Nickname:  MacKenzie's Raiders
Regimental Song:  Riders for the Flag
In 1926 the "march king", John Phillip Sousa, seeing the 4th Cavalry on maneuvers and impressed with the reputation of the 4th Cavalry, wrote an official march for the regiment entitled "Riders For the Flag" which was dedicated to Colonel Osmun Latrobe, Regimental Cdr, and to the members of the Fourth U.S. Cavalry.

Lineage:
- Constituted 3 March 1855 in the Regular Army as Company C, 1st Cavalry Organized 17 June 1855 at Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
- Redesignated 3 August 1861 as Company C, 4th Cavalry
(Cavalry companies officially designated as troops in 1883)
- Reorganized and redesignated 1 February 1928 as the Machine Gun Troop, 4th Cavalry
- Reorganized and redesignated 1 February 1940 as the Service Troop, 4th Cavalry
- Reorganized and redesignated 16 April 1942 as the Service Troop, 4th Cavalry, Mechanized
- Consolidated 21 December 1943 with Headquarters Troop, 4th Cavalry, and consolidated unit reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters Troop, 4th Cavalry Group, Mechanized
- Converted and redesignated 1 May 1946 as Headquarters Troop, 4th Constabulary Regiment
- Reorganized and redesignated 10 February 1948 as Headquarters and Service Troop, 4th Constabulary Regiment
- Inactivated 1 May 1949 in Austria
- Redesignated 20 August 1953 as Headquarters Company, 4th Armored Cavalry
- Former Troop C, 4th Cavalry, withdrawn 15 February 1957 and consolidated with Troop C, 4th Cavalry (see ANNEX 1), and the 25th Reconnaissance Company (active) (see ANNEX 2); consolidated unit reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 3d Reconnaissance Squadron, 4th Cavalry, an element of the 25th Infantry Division (organic elements concurrently constituted and activated)
- Reorganized and redesignated 29 July 1963 as the 3d Squadron, 4th Cavalry
- Inactivated 16 March 1987 in Hawaii and relieved from assignment to the 25th Infantry Division
- Assigned 16 June 1989 to the 3d Infantry Division and activated in Germany
- Relieved 16 February 1996 from assignment to the 3d Infantry Division and assigned to the 25th Infantry Division
     Annex 1:
- Constituted 1 February 1940 in the Regular Army as Troop C, 4th Cavalry
- Activated 1 January 1941 at Fort Meade, South Dakota
- Reorganized and redesignated 16 April 1942 as Troop C, 4th Cavalry, Mechanized
- Reorganized and redesignated 21 December 1943 as Troop C, 24th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized
 -Reorganized and redesignated 1 May 1946 as Troop C, 24th Constabulary Squadron
- Inactivated 15 December 1952 in Germany
- Redesignated 21 April 1953 as Company C, 524th Reconnaissance Battalion
- Redesignated 1 February 1957 as Troop C, 4th Cavalry
     Annex 1:
- Constituted 28 October 1942 in the Regular Army as the 25th Reconnaissance Troop, an element of the 25th Infantry Division
- Activated 3 November 1942 at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii
- Reorganized and redesignated 1 January 1944 as the 25th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop, Mechanized
- Redesignated 10 October 1945 as the 25th Mechanized Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop
- Redesignated 20 March 1949 as the 25th Reconnaissance Company

Join the 3/4 Cav Association!